Are you excited about building your own timber frame home?
Do you want to create your dream home by hand and need the knowledge to do it?
Are you ready to learn timeless skills with a group of passionate people and instructors?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, join us now and be one of the few who get to attend our 2018 Timber Frame Workshop at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage.
Timber framing is an ancient and traditional skill that can produce breathtaking structures that last generations. This hands-on barn raising experience will provide you with the skills needed to begin your own timber frame building. You too can discover the pleasure of working with hand tools and natural materials.
Everyone is welcome, whether you have basic, advanced, or no carpentry skills. If you know what it means to fit mortise and tenon joints with pegs or not, there is a place for you here. You can rest assured that you will gain an amazing amount of skills and knowledge.
What you can expect to take home from this timber framing workshop:
- How to choose the best hand tools for timber frame joinery
- The proper way to restore and maintain your tools to improve their usage and longevity
- Using hand tools safely and effectively
- Learn to find timber and orient it to the frame design
- Understand how to utilize snap line, square rule, and plumb line scribing techniques for joinery layout
- Complete the fitting up and raising of a timber frame barn
- Guidance with tested and proven techniques from extraordinary timber frame builders Thomas Kortkamp and Cynthia Main
- Unique uplifting experience in a community of like-minded individuals who value timber framing knowledge
Come and join us in the wondrous rolling hills of Northeast Missouri at Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage. You’ll be surrounded by stunning natural buildings and nature. Your days will be full of building, tours of the land and timber frame homes, and end with luxurious dips in the pond to cool you off after an exciting day of work. Sustainable living is a community effort of the choices you make with respect to nature and the people around you. Build a barn and a community by signing up for this limited workshop.
June 10-17, 2018 Arrive on Sunday, June 10. Depart Sunday afternoon, June 17. Meals provided from Sunday dinner through the following Sunday brunch.
This workshop is FULL.
Sign up below if you want to know about future building workshops.
Indoor accommodations are available to rent during the course for an additional fee. We have several options: rooms in cabins, private homes, and the bed & breakfast. Email us after you register to see what’s still available.
The all-inclusive fee covers: instruction, meals, camping platform (bring your own gear), showers, bathrooms, WiFi, and community building access. Indoor accommodations are available at an extra cost. If you already own any timber framing tools, please bring them along.